Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Not very long ago, women of color didn’t have the right cosmetics and shades that enhanced their beauty. However, in the 90’s, the fashion and film industry discovered why ebony is one of the most beautiful skin shades. And that is the story of how makeup manufacturers started creating makeup for black women.
Today, makeup for black women is made to suit all dark skin tones, starting from the chocolate milk hue and all the way to the rich brown shade. Plus, new companies, such as Iman Cosmetics, were created to mainly manufacture makeup for black women. Thus, women of color are no more neglected, and their skin is pampered with the right set of cosmetics.
However, because they have been deprived from makeup for many years, most black women don’t know how to bring out their undertones or which colors are best for them. This is where this tutorial comes in. With the information you will get here, you will learn how to use proper makeup for dark skin type like an expert, and that, too, without taking makeup classes.
7 Vital Makeup Tips for Black Women
You should always look for latest tips and tricks, and new makeup brands, as the trends are changing rapidly. We expect that you practice what you learn in order to make sure that you get the most benefit. So, if you’re ready to enhance your presence, here are some tips to start you off:
1. Work With Your Undertones:
Ebony skin is one of the richest skin tones in color. Though there are hundreds of hues, there are only three basic skin tones that stand out most: red, yellow and blue. Based on these, you will have to choose your own range of makeup shades.
If you have red undertones, then what you need is a makeup that consists of reds, mauves, and magentas. Yellow, orange and black can also complement your reddish undertones.
Women with blue undertones should use blue shades, red, teal, orange and black. As for those with yellow undertones, their makeup should include violet, brown, amber, and blue-green shades.
2. Never Neglect Your Skin Type:
Most women of color tend to choose makeup that hardly suits their skin. The first thing you should do when picking out makeup is to check whether it’s designed for your skin type. You wouldn’t want to have great makeup but look too oily! That would cancel out the effects you want from your makeup.
3. Don’t Worry About Your Uneven Skin Tone:
No one’s perfect, so if you notice that some patches are lighter than others, don’t panic. In this case, look for a foundation that will even out your skin tone. However, if your makeup allowance is big enough, you can always buy two different foundation shades.
4. Flaunt a Normal Skin Color:
When choosing their foundation, black women always end up picking darker or lighter shades. However, that will only conceal your original skin color, which is your actual beauty. So, while selecting foundation, make sure that you choose the shade closest to your skin tone.
5. Take Care of Your Skin:
Your skin is the canvas which you’re going to paint makeup on. Thus, you need to make sure that you take care of it by using moisturizers and sunscreen. Plus, whenever you get some extra time and cash, head to your spa for a facial and some pampering. You and your skin definitely deserve that.
6. Don’t Forget to Use Concealer and Blush:
This is a common mistake that all makeup users do, whether they are black or white. These two cosmetics are necessary for your skin, thus you need to have them on. A concealer will make sure that your ebony skin looks perfect, while blush will enhance your cheekbones and define your face. So, make sure that you include these two in your makeup kit.
7. Experiment, Experiment, Experiment:
Makeup for black women is all about experimenting with shades. Some may tell you which colors work with your undertones, but you need to find out which shades bring out a sexier you. So, the next time you head to the mall, make sure to check which shades look great on you.
BONUS: Things You Must Consider
- Make sure to get the perfect makeup by always buying brands that target black women. These usually offer a range of skin tones that suit all African American women and bring out their skin’s undertones.
- Most experts believe that airbrush makeup is one of the best solutions for black people. Not only does this type of makeup blend easily with your skin tone, but it also prevents your skin from sprouting pimples and nasty rashes. Besides, you will look flawless for at least 12 hours because this makeup is smudge-proof and water-resistant.
- To get the most out of your makeup, you need to get great skin. For this reason, a visit to the dermatologist is a must. He or she will tell you which products, including face washes, toners, and moisturizers; you need to look your best, with or without, makeup.
- Another important factor that affects your makeup is your diet. If you eat more fruits and veggies and avoid processed foods, your body will become healthy and your skin will glow.
- Not every makeup is suitable for you. Not even the most popular one. Therefore, in addition to checking whether it matches your skin tone or not, make sure that your foundation and concealer are compatible with your skin type and suitable for the utility you need (for example how frequently and for what occasions).
- To get the most from the makeup , decide on the color palates that suit your skin’s undertones. You may need professional help for this, but it will save you a lot of money, and, the disappointment of applying colors that don’t suit you.
- Consider enrolling a makeup training class in an area near you. You will get to learn how to look great using the best makeup for black people, but you will discover tips, tricks and secrets
You do not need a professional makeup artist to do the magic of makeup on your face. There are hundreds of resources that can help you get the best makeup and look. However, these above mentioned tips will work as a foundation.