Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whether if you are an at-home haircut enthusiast or a wannabe hair stylish, knowing how to cut a layer haircut is a precious skill to have.
We all know, how costly can be a visit to the hairdresser. In this step-by-step tutorial, I have covered all the techniques that you need to know. You can try these techniques to cut your own hair as well as your client’s. In this article I will particularly focus on layered haircut in short hair.
One of the most popular and trending haircuts for women is layer cut. Layered hair style is universal and goes with pretty much any face shape. Nonetheless, not all hair types are suitable for this cut. If you have fine wavy or medium straight hair, layer cut will match perfectly. However, this cut is not recommended, if you have curly or coarse hair.
Essential Tools for Cutting Short Layer Haircut:
The important tool that you need for a perfect layer haircut is a sharp salon-grade professional scissor also know as hair shears. DO NOT use your everyday scissors as it will destroy your haircut. You will find a good hair shears in any reputed beauty store or Amazon.
The second tool you need is a fine comb. The thin clipper comb will allow you to cut your hair precisely.
The third essential tool for a layer hair cut is a texturizing shears. Texturizing shear helps to blend the layers and adjust the volume of your hair.
The last tool you will need is a hairdressing scissor guide. You will need 5 different size of guides ranging from 1/2″ to 2 1/2″. These guides will allow you to cut your hair in different length in different section.
You can also use a good cordless hair clipper as an alternative to hair shear and comb.
General Preparation for Layer Haircut:
Before you start the actual haircut, you must have a solid plan. Think twice before making any move. Once you cut a portion of your hair, there’s no backspace button to correct your action.
Have a closer look at the overall picture and consider several important factors like the length of your hair, shape of your face, hair type and your personality. It’s usually hard to achieve layered cut in short hair as there’s less room for error. So, every move should be well planned. Consider your level of expertise before you unleash your scissor.
- You need to divide your hair mainly in three sections. Clip the front hair in a triangular section. Leave the rest as it is.
- The first step is to use the 1 1/2″ guide to cut the top, back and side. This is the first layer of your cut.
- The, use a 1 1/4″ guide to cut the lower back and bottom of both sides.
- The bottom, from the ear to the back should be trimmed with a 1″ guide. You need to be careful at this stage. If you cut it too short, then it will be difficult for you match this section with other layers.
- Use the 1/2″ guide to cut the bottom hair line to the back and then angle-cut the top to the front.
- The final step is to use the 2 1/2″ guide to cut the bangs in front.
This is it folks.
Just follow these simple steps and you will get a nice short layered haircut. Sometimes, it might be difficult for you to reach at your back. In that case, ask for a little help from your friend.
Remember, the layers should always be in descending order. Your top section will be the longest layer all the time.