Airbrush makeup in the past was a secret trick used to make models and movie stars look flawless.
Now anyone can feel like they have a second, more “perfect” skin sprayed directly onto their face in a weightless mist.
Want to know how?
Simply utilize this airbrush makeup reviews guide to find the best airbrush makeup kit for you.
We’ve rounded up the top kits to make your search for a suitable airbrush makeup kit as easy as possible.
Not sure what you’re getting into?
Not to worry, we’ve also developed a crash course on the ins and outs of purchasing and using airbrush makeup.
Read on to find out the benefits of airbrush makeup, how airbrush makeup works, and how to pick the most suitable airbrush makeup kit for you.
Airbrush Makeup Kit Comparison Chart
If you are in hurry, take a quick look in this comparison chart to get an overall idea about different aspects of different airbrushing kits.
Note: All ratings (out of 5) are based on Styleaurora.com’s editorial reviews.
Top 6 Best Airbrush Makeup Reviews 2020
We have reviewed top 6 airbrush makeup kits of 2018 to help you deciding which airbrush makeup kit you should buy. This buying guide features each product’s main features & pros and cons. Click the link below to every product to check latest price.
Editor’s #1 Choice
Art of Air Professional Airbrush Makeup
Art of Air is one of the most affordable yet professional airbrush makeup system available in the market.
This system comes with six shades ranging from light to medium.
Art of Air also makes additional shades available for individual purchase that match deeper skin tones.
Though it is unfortunate that their airbrush makeup kit can only be purchased in light or medium.
The fact that deeper shades are available makes up for this limited choice.
- The Art of Air system also includes blush, bronzer, shimmer and primer. Their primer has anti-aging properties.
- The formula for the Art of Air airbrush makeup is water-based, so it’s incredibly lightweight.
- The airbrush makeup applies evenly and lasts for a long time.
- An unexpected bonus for such a cheap set is a bottle of airbrush cleaner. The best thing about this is that you can clean your system with ease.
- The directions for this system come printed in a fully colored booklet with plenty of pictures. It tells you exactly how to hook everything up to get your system working.
- It does come with a nifty little traveling bag. Because it’s so compact, it’s ideal for using on the road.
- As far as ease of access goes, Art of Air gets a gold star.
- Visually, the Art of Air airbrush system leaves something to be desired. It looks cheap and breakable.
- The casing of the air compressor is made of plastic. All that means is that you’ll have to be careful not to drop it on hard surfaces.
Aeroblend Airbrush Makeup PRO Starter Kit
Aeroblend PRO is widely considered as one of the best airbrush systems in professional airbrush makeup arena.
It’s also a very popular brand used by the wedding makeup professionals in the makeup artist field.
TV makeup artists also use Aeroblend PRO airbrushes exclusively in their work for camera ready HD look.
Aeroblend is highly recommended by professionals in a number of creative makeup fields.
That means all Aeroblend products are super high quality. They perform exceptionally well and last for a very long time.
- Aeroblend’s makeups are fragrance free. That means it is perfect for sensitive skin.
- Aeroblend PRO Starter Kit airbrush makeup comes with 24 shades. You wont have any difficulty to find the perfect shade for your clients anymore.
- This airbrush makeup is water-based and gentle for the skin. Ingredients like lavender oil and jojoba oil calms redness and gives airbrushed skin a more natural texture.
- Aeroblend PRO Starter Kit is small yet powerful. It has an rotatable dial for precise application.
- The kit does not include a cleaner.
- Customer service is not up to the mark.
Aeroblend’s Pro starter Kit is recommended for those looking to enter the professional makeup field and need an affordable upgrade. It is absolutely ideal for both home users and professional makeup artists.
Temptu 2.0 Airbrush Makeup System
This airbrush makeup made its debut in the 1981 film Tattoo. Unsurprisingly, Temptu is one of the most well-known brands. They are one of the most successful brands for a good reason.
Temptu airbrush makeup has revolutionized the airbrush makeup scene. This airbrush system has a distinctly professional look.
It comes with an incredible 12 foundation shades, ranging from light to deep. Temptu is known for being long-lasting. Thanks to their unique silicone formula.
- The quality of this makeup is so high that plenty of people use Temptu airbrush makeup in other machines. Please note that this is not at all recommended by manufacturers.
- You should really just buy the Temptu system if you’re looking to use really excellent airbrush makeup. Especially considering how professional makeup artists praise the Temptu for giving such a natural finish.
- Unfortunately, this brand is more expensive compared to some of the others.
At least Temptu has the performance to back that price up! It’s more than you can say for some. We believe that the high price is justified. Especially if you’re truly looking for the top quality airbrush makeup. Because this brand is so popular, it’s easy to find a product in their extensive range that fits you perfectly.
Photo Finish Professional Airbrush Makeup
The Photo Finish airbrush makeup system is the cheapest option for sure. This system comes with a stylish carrying bag, five shades of foundation ranging from light to medium, blush, primer and even a finishing powder!
It comes with everything you’d need to get started.
- Photo Finish actually has two different formulas for purchase on their website. This is useful if you have troubled skin. If your skin is oily for example, you can choose the matte finish formula. This will minimize visible oiliness. Alternatively, if you have dry skin, you can choose the luminous formula for a more moisturized look.
- The price of this airbrush system is the major selling point. Considering the high quality of materials this airbrush machine is made of, the price is surprising.
- Being able to choose between two finishes is also quite unique. If you’re able to work with the limited shade range, Photo Finish is the number one bargain buy.
- The first major drawback I’m seeing is the shade range. There just isn’t a lot to choose from. Essentially you receive all of the shades Photo Finish has available with the system purchase.
- The deepest shade they make is ‘medium tan’ and if you have a deeper skin tone than that, you simply won’t be able to find a match. If you don’t find a shade to match your skin, even airbrush makeup will look unnatural.
Make Me A Diva Starter Airbrush Kit
Make Me A Diva is a largely unknown airbrush makeup brand. With a middle-ground price range and rave reviews, this may just be a hidden gem.
Make Me A Diva’s air compressor has a PSI of 25, which is higher than many cheap air compressors and is even within the standard range for professional use. The air compressor is a cute shade of purple with white detailing.
This is pretty impressive since Make Me A Diva is designed for personal use in mind.
- Because it’s meant for personal use, the machine is incredibly easy to use. There are three settings, low, medium, and high. It should be easy for a beginner to pick up this kit and get started right away.
- The Make Me A Diva starter kit also comes with more than enough makeup products for a first-timer.
- This system comes with four shades of foundation, blush, bronzer and shimmer. The shimmer in the kit can be used for highlighting the face. The bronzer can be used for contouring.
- The kit is available in two shades: light to medium, or medium to dark. The shades in both kits have a variety of undertones. You should definitely be able to find a match that’s perfect for you.
- The machine is pretty small, not much bigger than an average-sized hand. It’s compact design is great for a crowded vanity.
- The tube that attaches to the airbrush wand is long, which can help with makeup application.
- The system is sturdy and overall seems well-made.
- The only huge drawback is that Make Me A Diva doesn’t have their own website. Because of this, it’s impossible to tell what their customer service will be like. With such a well-made system it’s unlikely you’ll need to contact them anyway. But it’s something to consider.
Belloccio Professional Airbrush Makeup
Belloccio is another airbrush makeup system with an impressively low price. This airbrush makeup system looks beautiful and sleek.
The air compressor and airbrush wand are both elegantly chrome colored. You also receive a free carrying case in a chocolate brown color with the Belloccio logo and an adorable bow!
Visually, the Belloccio, gives off classy, Italian vibes. It’s also fairly small, so you can take it anywhere with ease and in style.
- The Belloccio system is another airbrush makeup system that comes in three options. Light, medium and deep. Their makeup line is not extensive but performs well.
- All Belloccio makeup is made with sensitive skin in mind. The foundation contains aloe to soothe irritated and acne prone skin.
- All of their makeup is non-codegemic, which means it does not clog pores!
- The color options for the blushes are especially pretty and flattering for many skin tones.
- Belloccio also makes their own brand of spray tan which can be used with their system. If you like to look tan and don’t want to risk sun damage, this is a great alternative.
- If it matters to you as a consumer, Belloccio is made in the USA.
- This airbrush makeup system is pretty cheap, so if you’re looking for a bargain, this is another good option.
- One last thing to consider is the warranty for the Belloccio system. Belloccio’s customer service is excellent, but they only offer a one month warranty.
- Belloccio has more reports of airbrush malfunction than other brands. In some cases, even with regular cleaning, the machine develops stubborn clogs.
- A clog doesn’t mean that your machine is broken, but it can be a hassle to remove. Some people, however, have no problem with their system at all. It’s possible that some complaints are due to misuse. If you use the wrong makeup in an airbrush makeup machine, it’s more likely to clog.
- Belloccio’s one month warranty is really short for an airbrush makeup system. There’s a huge possibility for missing the warranty window in the case of a malfunction.
Why You Should Buy an Airbrush Makeup Kit?
With the creation of HD television, airbrush makeup is a must-have technique for anyone in front of a camera.
When you wanna look like a doll.. #airbrush that #makeup #filtertransformation #airbrushmakeup
— nicolette white (@samraboricua13)
Because high definition video picks up the flaws and textures of the skin in an undesirable way.
Airbrush makeup applies in such a way that it’s nearly invisible, even to a high definition camera. It’s pretty exciting.
Major benefits of airbrush makeup are pretty universal and recognizable: the effortlessly flawless look. Just looking at an airbrushed models face can give you a significant reason to have an airbrush makeup kit of your very own.
But that’s not the only reason to buy an airbrush makeup kit.
Flawless Natural Look:
There’s a lot of other reasons why people use airbrush makeup. For example, airbrush makeup is the most popular makeup for weddings and wedding photos.
This is because airbrush makeup gives you a natural look that’s also incredibly durable.
Airbrush makeup will give you a flawless finish and stay on all day long. But it’s not just for special occasions.
Purchasing an airbrush makeup kit can let you look that effortlessly flawless all the time!
For Everyday Use
If you’re considering buying an airbrush makeup kit, you probably already wear makeup on a regular basis. It’s expensive, everybody knows that.
If you look at it this way, what’s the better deal, an average priced foundation that looks and feels unnatural, or a slightly more expensive system that gives you a flawless finish?
We think that airbrush makeup is worth the price. A great airbrush makeup artist can make you look like a better version of yourself.
Value for Money
You should buy an airbrush makeup kit because it’s a good investment. Airbrushing is an easy skill to learn, and applying airbrush makeup is faster than applying makeup the traditional way.
This is because all you really have to do is roll the airbrush applicator over your face free-handed and it does the hard part for you.
Your makeup will not go on cakey or heavy because that’s just not how it works. No more taking ages out of your day to blend your makeup before you leave the house. Airbrush makeup is already soft and diffused.
Airbrush makeup is the only makeup that you can customize completely.
No longer do you have to buy a high-coverage foundation just to get an even skin tone. Light or heavy makeup days, airbrush makeup does it all.
Lightweight & Easy to Apply
You’re paying for a better experience and a better result. Even the best normal makeup doesn’t have the staying power of the airbrush makeup.
If you have an active lifestyle, or just don’t like fussing with touch-ups, an airbrush makeup system can be a huge benefit. Just one application can stay on all day long!
Airbrush makeup can stand up to sweat and harsh weather conditions. All while feeling incredibly lightweight. Airbrush makeup is makeup as it was intended to be!
As an added bonus, airbrush makeup is more sanitary than traditional makeup, since the only thing that touches your makeup besides your skin is air! No more having to deal with dirty makeup brushes, or even fingers.
Here’s an infographic about 11 interesting features and facts about airbrush makeup.
What’s in The Best Airbrush Makeup Systems?
A good airbrush makeup systems should come with a nice variety of products to help you get started with a great range of foundation shades to choose from.
Generally speaking, this should include 3-5 foundation shades in your range (light, medium, or dark) at the very least, and ideally one shade of blush and bronzer.
And they should also be easy for a beginner to use. If the learning curve is too steep, it may just be that your airbrush makeup system isn’t performing very well.
This is the most critical part of an airbrush makeup system, since the major benefit of an airbrush makeup system is applying foundation quickly.
Instruction manuals should be crystal clear and easy to understand.
It’s even better for an airbrush makeup brand to have readily available customer support to help you out if needed.
Airbrush makeup systems should be made of high-quality materials.
They should be made of a stainless steel throughout the entire airbrush wand.
This includes the trigger and other moving parts. Stainless steel is the best material for both durability and handling of your airbrush makeup wand.
This leads to better application and less frequent breakdowns and makeup blockage.
Most of the time maintenance for your airbrush makeup machine will only mean dropping some cleaning solution into the cup on the airbrush wand.
Ideally, your airbrush makeup system should come with at least a sample of their own cleaning solution so that it’s less hassle for you to deal with.
Similarly, an airbrush makeup system should have easily replaceable parts. In the event that one specific part of your airbrush machine breaks, this will prevent you from having to buy a whole new one.
Alternatively, a good warranty for your airbrush makeup system is recommended for your own peace of mind.
Good range of shades:
Of course, the quality airbrush makeup systems also have the best makeup! Not all airbrush makeup is created equal. The quality of the makeup used with your airbrush makeup system is just as important as the airbrush machine.
Read our reviews thoroughly to get the scoop on the best airbrush makeup. An ideal airbrush makeup system should come with a wide range of shades that perform and mix well.
How to Pick the Perfect Airbrush Makeup Kit
Read this in-depth buying guide to determine the most suitable airbrush makeup kit for your preferences. For example, you may be a professional makeup artist.
That means you have different needs than someone who uses it exclusively on themselves.
The leading airbrush makeup kits are versatile, but this does not mean they all perform the same way.
The best way to find the right airbrush makeup kit for you is to consider your priorities. These will be different for everyone.
If aesthetics are important to you, that’s totally okay!
There are plenty of nice-looking airbrush kits for you to choose from. If the price is the most important factor to you, don’t worry. You don’t always have to sacrifice quality for price.
If you’re not going to do airbrush makeup daily, you don’t need an expensive airbrush makeup kit.
Whatever your needs are, you can find it in airbrush makeup.
You just have to know how to look. Airbrush makeup kits tend to come with extras. Like makeup samples for you to use. These bonuses are important but, none of it matters if the airbrush machine doesn’t work.
Always remember that quantity doesn’t equal quality.
Here’s a big tip:
Top airbrush makeups will have a record of success, and be fairly priced. Look for brands with positive reviews. You’ll feel more secure in a popular brand’s claims. That’s not to say that smaller airbrush makeup brands are bad.
Always look for quality and not quantity when it comes to choose the perfect airbrush makeup. Satisfied customers raving about their product should always outweigh negative reviews.
Short, angry reviews that give little to no information are not as important as long detailed reviews of a product.
If you’re still not sure what to do at the end of all your research, we may be able to help. Airbrush makeup should make you happy, not stressed out to use. Purchasing should be just as simple.
To make it easy for you, we’ve brought together six excellent options. They are the best in the business. Consider things like price, durability, and the airbrush makeup itself in making your choice.
Things to Consider Before Buying an Airbrush Makeup
- You will not be able to apply airbrush makeup quickly at first. It’s fairly easy to learn but it will take a few tries. Once you have the hang of airbrush makeup, it will be quicker than normal makeup.
- Only use airbrush makeup with an airbrush machine. Regular makeup is too thick and will ruin your machine.
- If you use a brand of airbrush makeup that is different than the manufacturer, your warranty is void.
- You will have to clean your airbrush machine regularly. No matter what brand you go with, there is no such thing as a self-cleaning airbrush system. If you don’t do proper maintenance, no airbrush machine will work well for you.
- Consider the type of finish that you want for your makeup. Different airbrush makeup brands give a different look when the makeup settles. In the example of Temptu and Dinair, an airbrush makeup line may have several versions of foundation that range from dewy to powder finish.
How the Airbrush Machine Works
All airbrush makeup systems will come in several parts. The airbrush wand, which dispenses the product, a flexible tube which attaches to the gun, and an air compressor.
The air compressor is the component that does all of the work. More expensive airbrushing machines will come with smaller compressors, though all of them are far from bulky in size.
The air compressor sucks air into a series of pistons, which then push that air out, through the tube and out the tip of the airbrush makeup wand.
The whole process is fairly noisy, but again, the more expensive airbrush machines will run more quietly than a cheap version.
An air compressor works by blasting air and delivering the gust through a tiny hollow needle in the airbrush wand.
The air mixed with your makeup pigment creates a fine mist of makeup. Instead of appearing like normal makeup, which can go on streaky and cakey, airbrush makeup goes on smoothly and effortlessly.
Even the action to apply airbrush makeup is easily done.
You move the wand around your face in sweeping circular motions, creating an intricate fishnet of gradually layered pigment that naturally enhances the look of your skin and conceals imperfections.
The strength of an air compressor is measured in Pounds per Square Inch, or PSI. Most airbrush machines have a PSI range of 15-40.
Cheaper machines will have a lower PSI, while more expensive airbrush machines will be adjustable and can reach 30-40 PSI. Adjustable and higher speeds can be confusing and unnecessary for a beginner, so it’s not strictly a negative for a machine to be simpler.
On the top of the airbrush wand there is a cup for you to put your drops of airbrush makeup into.
This cup releases makeup when the trigger is pulled back. This is the case for most airbrush makeup but a few brands have capsules of makeup that attach directly to the makeup wand instead.
In both cases, the makeup will act the same, spraying onto the skin evenly. Which type of airbrush wand to buy is simply up to preference.
3 Helpful Airbrush Makeup Tips
- When matching foundation to your skin tone, don’t forget about your skin’s undertones. To check, look at the veins at your wrist. If they appear greenish, you have warm undertones. If they appear blue, you have cool undertones. Somewhere in the middle is neutral undertones. Matching your skin’s natural undertone is essential in making your makeup look flawless.
- If your airbrush makeup is silicone based, like Temptu is, then you need a silicone based cleaner.
- You may have to mix two or more shades to find your match. This is easily done after putting a few shades into the airbrush cup. Simply cover the tip of the airbrush wand and pull the trigger lightly. This directs air into the cup, mixing it with bubbles. This is called ‘back bubbling’.
Finding the best airbrush makeup for you is the first step into the exciting world of makeup artistry. Remember to have fun with your airbrush makeup.
It doesn’t matter whether it’s a fun thing for you to use on special occasions or for everyday use. Airbrush makeup can help you feel more confident in your makeup looks.
When you’re more confident, you’re happier and more sociable. Over time, you might find that picking up airbrush makeup skills will help you in more ways than one.
As you begin your airbrush makeup journey, keep these things in mind. Practice is the only thing that can make your skills perfect. But starting with a good foundation is important too.
With basic knowledge, you’ll go farther with your airbrush makeup. After that, everything is up to you. You can even make a profitable career out of airbrush makeup.
Consider all of the options you have to find the most suitable airbrush makeup for you. This Airbrush makeup reviews guide is a good place to start.