Beauty products can cost a ton of money plus they’re often full of chemicals that you may not want to be using. I also don’t think people realize how quickly and easily you can make your own products at home and how much better they are when you control what goes into them. In this post, I am going to show you how to make Crayon Lipstick easily at home.
I don’t know if your kids were like mine at the end of the year but my kids came home with a LOT of the required school supplies from school not even touched. It kind of annoyed me because why on earth did I need to buy all of that in the first place if it was not going to be used and secondly, what the heck was I going to do with bags of supplies? It took me a bit, but I finally sorted through everything and one of the things we had an overabundance was Crayola Crayons. So, of course, I did what anyone who is a mom blogger would do… I turned them into a craft project!
Project: Lipstick Out of Crayons!
I know, I know, crayons as makeup? It totally works though because they are non-toxic. To make lipsticks and lip balm they use wax so you are just using already colored wax as part of your base. If you have one of the big boxes of crayons you can get really creative with your color choices. To make the crayon lipstick, all you’ll need four simple ingredients and a couple of tools. Let’s start working and watch your kid’s crayons turn into some awesome new makeup for you!
Those supplies pictured above are what you’ll need to make a whole bunch of your very own crayon lipstick that’s perfect to use yourself, giveaway as gifts or hey, even start your own little business with. This project would also be great to make for a tween or teen party or sleepover.
DIY Beauty: Crayon Lipstick Ingredients
- Non-Toxic Crayons in colors of your choice (I used Crayola brand)
- Organic Coconut Oil
- African Shea Butter (I used organic)
- Essential Oils (optional)
- Glass Droppers
- Empty Lipstick/Lip Balm Tubes or little pots with lids
- A Small Pan
- A Small Bowl or Ramekin
Something to stir with (I actually used the blunt end of bamboo skewers so I could toss them out.)
How to Make Crayon Lipstick – 7 Easy Steps:
- Add water to a small pan and bring to a simmer. Do not boil.
- In your bowl or ramekin break up one crayon and add 1 teaspoon of shea butter and one rounded 1/2 tsp. of coconut oil.
- Place bowl or ramekin in simmering water careful not to get any water into the bowl.
- Stir to help everything melt. This should only take a minute or two since you are using small amounts. Stir in 4-6 drops of your choice of essential oils if you want them flavored. I used lemon, grapefruit & peppermint.
- Uncap two of the empty lipstick/lip balm tubes or pots. Using the glass dropper carefully add the wax mixture. Do not fill completely to the top because it will expand slightly as it hardens but if you are using the tubes make sure to cover the rod in the center of the tube.
- Cap and then let sit for and hour or two at least. Then they are ready to use.
- You can make decorative labels if you want to use these as gifts.
So now are you curious about if it really works? If you actually get a colored lip balm when you put it on? Does it last and does it work like ones you’d buy?
Yes, you really do get colors on your lip when you put it on and it does stay on as well as any other lipsticks. It is actually super moisturizing because of the coconut oil and shea butter so in that respect it can be better than many lipsticks you’d buy. I did take some pictures with all of the colors on so you could get some idea of what the colors look like on.
Since these do contain shea butter and coconut oil you are going to want to keep them in temps of no more than 80° or they will soften. Other than that though I just love how these came out and all of the color options.
This guest post and all photos contributed by Jennifer.